Would you like to help develop high performance materials for solid-state batteries? Do you have a passion for complex machines, a hi-tech product and sustainability? Then join HyET Lithium on its mission!
With the increasing trend of devices to become mobile and wireless, batteries become more and more important. Batteries will play a crucial role in the future energy system and the strive to create a carbon-neutral society. This is due to the rapid rise of e-mobility, but also to their capacity to balance supply and demand within the electricity system. Li-ion batteries are taking dominance for a wide range of applications, due to their high energy and power density over earlier generation batteries. Despite their technological promise, Li-ion batteries still have several shortcomings, particularly regarding safety. For example, Li-ion batteries can be damaged and tend to overheat at high voltages. Safety mechanisms are required to limit voltage and internal pressure, which can increase weight and limit performance in some cases. Li-ion batteries are also subject to capacity loss after a few years. Moreover, despite the high energy density of Li-ion compared to other kinds of batteries, they are still around a hundred times less energy dense than gasoline. Further advancement of Li-ion battery technology is necessary to meet the future needs regarding energy and power density, weight, charging time, lifetime, safety, and costs.
HyET Lithium works on the production of high energy density solid-state batteries. A solid-state battery uses a solid electrolyte, instead of the liquid electrolytes found in conventional lithium-ion batteries. Solid-state batteries can provide potential solutions for many problems of liquid Li-ion batteries, such as flammability, limited voltage, unstable solid-electrolyte interphase formation, poor cycling performance and strength. The figure below shows the schematic cross-section of such a lithium battery structure. Currently, high performance solid-state lithium-ion batteries cannot be produced cost efficiently. At HyET Lithium we work on roll-to-roll production of solid-state lithium-ion batteries. Roll-to-roll processing of large-area devices reduces manufacturing cost. HyET Lithium is part of the HyET group companies, using shared facilities and working on various technologies to accelerate the energy transition.
What will you do
Working in close contact with our team, your main responsibilities are:
- To help develop battery active materials fabricated using Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD);
- To determine the physical or electrochemical properties of the materials*;
- To relate the properties of the material to the process parameters;
- Report on the experimental results;
- Discuss with experts on the results.
*We are currently looking for two students. The assignment will be further specified based on your personal preferences and background.
- A bachelor or master student in engineering, preferably a background in chemistry/physics with an affinity for experimental lab work;
- Hands-on, innovative, communicative, a fast learner;
- Strong analytical and communication skilled;
- Team-focused and pragmatic;
- An out of the box thinker;
- Comfortable in fast-paced environments;
- Fluent in English (spoken and written);
- Excellent in MS-Office.
What we have to offer
- Exciting opportunity to employ your research skills by characterizing materials using various advanced experimental techniques;
- Help us realize a world where energy is utilized sustainably and affordably;
- Join a fast growing, international oriented organization in the field of lithium-ion batteries.
- Join a company where Unity, Innovation and Excellence are key values.
- Surround yourself with specialists in your area of interest;
- You will receive an internship allowance.
Are you interested or do you want to know more?
Apply for this position by sending a cover letter and CV to email@example.com. If you want additional information about the internship, please contact Norah Hornsveld, Chief Technical Officer (firstname.lastname@example.org / +31 657517023).
About the HyET Group
The HyET Group’s vision is to promote and accelerate the adoption of essential decarbonization technologies. The companies under the HyET Group are active across the renewable energy supply chain and develop technologies that will enable large-scale implementation of renewable energy production, storage and distribution. HyET Group currently consists of seven companies: HyET Solar, HyET Lithium, HyET E-Trol, HyET Hydrogen, HyET NoCarbon, HyET HyLabNL and HyET Pro2NL.